The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) allows employers in regional or low population growth areas of Australia, to sponsor employees who are foreign nationals for a permanent visa to work in Australia. Note: This visa category is now closed for direct entry applications.
Who is eligible for the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme?
The employees applying for a regional sponsored visa can be either of the following:
- skilled workers from overseas
- skilled temporary residents currently in Australia
Visa applicants can apply in or outside of Australia for RSMS (subclass 187) visa.
This visa allows for entry via direct entry or transition from a 457 or 482 visa.
A regional certifying body must first certify the nominated position against the following criteria:
- Business must be actively and lawfully operating in Regional Australia
- The position must be available for a minimum of two (2) years
- The business requires a person for the nominated position and satisfies the market rate requirement.
The Employee must:
- have the relevant qualifications and/or work experience for the nominated position
- meet any mandatory licensing, registration
- have been offered a full time position for a fixed term of at least two years
- be under 45 years old
- have required English language ability
Note: Exemptions are available in some circumstances.
Temporary Residence Transition stream
If you have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in Australia, your skills do not need to be assessed.
You must have required English language levels.
This stream is available only to people who hold a subclass 457 or 482 visas. People who hold other 400 series visas may qualify to apply for a permanent residence visa through the Direct Entry stream.
Benefits of the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme
This visa allows employers operating in regional and low population growth areas of Australia to sponsor skilled workers to fill skilled vacancies in their business.